Sunday, July 12, 2009

"Breathe" - Asaeli Matelau


How long until I am no longer heard from?
Or No longer heard from in the same way?
My voice given to me at birth is mighty and strong
Born with the tones of a new tomorrow
A tomorrow risen above the hardships and equalities of today

But, my success is taught in the house of my condemner.
They say. Hush your voice, learn...
support the system that holds you down
Learn to be the man! Fight your fight with Politics
Drown in money and smile while we degrade you
We will set you free from your struggles

politics, academia and the university knows nothing of my Struggles
Your education system does not understand that I do not stand alone,
But, am tied to my Family, my Community. I will not let them go.
I will not stand while the establishment beats my People down
I do not wish to prosper, the way you prosper
I wish for Progress to sprout in the midst of my People

So I shall remain in the haze of the systems of oppression
While, I breathe in the mouth of the institutions.
I will breathe my breath, my knowledge by mouth like my ancestors
I will not allow you to taint my voice... my breath.
It has been passed down thousands of years
and although you conspire against me... against us
I will continue to breath and teach those who are like me to breath.
To be heard...

No comments: